Friday, October 30, 2009

5th Time's a Charm

Ok, now that the Series is tied, here's the Marine Corps Marathon scoop:

My chip didn't get read at the start! Luis and I started together and there was a 4:02 difference in his chip time. So I'm taking my clock time, 3:59:58 (still under 4 hours :-D), subtracting 4:02, and going with 3:55:56.... That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I have emailed the Marines to see if they'll go with it too.

So now that that's cleared up: HOLY CRAP! So much to report, so little ability to organize my thoughts. So in random order:







            • 3:55:56!!!!! I broke 4 hours, took 10 minutes off my previous time, and negative splitted (ran 2nd half faster than 1st half). Coach Danny really knows what he's doing!

            • Running faster is definitely harder. I am way much more sore than I was after NYC last year.

            • I fell! All the way down, rolled, popped back up, and kept going. The course was very crowded all the way through the first half of the race, and I was caught up in the 4 hour pace group. Someone came up from behind, clipped my heel, and down I went. No pictures this time.

            • My mom and my aunt were excellent cheerleaders. They made it to all their appointed places on time, had their sign ready, and jumped up and down and screamed like pro's. It was awesome.

            • The Marines were so. freaking. cool. They cheered for us; they let us know what was up ahead; they told which tables had water, which had Powerade; they rocked.

            • I squatted for the first time in a race situation. I was well shielded from any possible onlookers. It wasn't so bad. Paula Radcliffe did it, so why can't I?

            • We broke $4,000 for our fundraising, and that makes a grand total of over $20,000 over the past 3 years! THANK YOU!!!!

            • I passed Luis for the 3rd year in a row. But he keeps reminding me that he holds the family record at 3:54. Is he trying to stoke my competitive fire?!

            • Blue Powerade = nasty

            • I may never eat pasta again. Enough already.

            • The pictures are really not flattering. I was so focused, I didn't see any of the cameras, and I just look like I'm in pain in all of the pictures.

            • I also missed the Lincoln Memorial, the White House, and the Capitol...That's the trade-off for PR-ing.

            • I'm pretty sure I could actually run faster. The most challenging part for me was managing my anxiety. I had never run 8:50 - 9:00's so early in a marathon, and I was so worried about crashing. It never happened :)

            • I truly have no future marathon plans at this point...I'm sure I'll do it again though!

            • Right now, I'm looking forward to cheering on lots of friends who are running NYC on Sunday, including fellow Team Reeve-mates and TNT-ers, sleeping late, and continuing to eat everything in sight (except pasta).

            4 comments:

            lisa said...

            belated congrats, dawn! just a thought: 10/10/10....

            cbrahm said...

            Great Story! Here is another good marathon story.
            http://christopherbrahm.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-marathon-adventure.html

            Unknown said...

            Great report about the event. Hope you have a lot of great run to come. Good luck!!!

            saucony shoes

            Unknown said...

            That was awesome!congratulations to you. Good luck on your future runs! More power! HAppy trails! ~ keen shoes ~