Thursday, February 21, 2008

Dawnilicious


I was featured the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation's latest direct mail campaign. Very exciting for a small town girl like me. It's all a part of my plan to acquire world-wide fame, coin the term "Dawnilicous," spiral downward into a life of partying, and make a comeback with a Jenny Craig commercial.

Seriously though, it is such an honor to have my name associated with such a fine organization. Below are portions of the letter they are sending out (I cut some parts out because this post was just to long). Notice the part where it says I'll be back next year to double my fundraising goal. This is true! And beware, I'll be asking for your help!!

Dear Friend,

Standing at the starting line of the NYC Marathon, special education teacher and “Team Reeve” member Dawn Hering was a bundle of nerves. The buzzing TV helicopters didn’t help.

“That’s when I decided to name each helicopter for people who were important to me,” Dawn explained. “So I looked up and thought to myself, that one is Christopher, that’s Dana, that’s my dad. Then during the race, every time I saw one of them it gave me inspiration.”

The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation launched Team Reeve in 2005 to give athletically-minded CDRF friends and supporters like Dawn the chance to combine their love of sports with raising much-needed funds for research and other critical CDRF programs.
....
While Duncan and Dawn were Team Reeve novices, they already knew first-hand about spinal cord injuries and how CDRF has helped transform lives for the better.

In June 1994, when Dawn was sixteen, her father’s delivery truck was hit from behind by a tractor-trailer. The devastating accident left Dawn’s father a quadriplegic and radically transformed the life of her family. “All of us pitched in to help,” she said.

“After Christopher Reeve’s accident,” Dawn explained, “we followed everything he and Dana were doing.” Dawn’s family supported CDRF from early on and made use of the Foundation’s online resources. “It’s really helped us keep on top of the research,” she said.
...
Duncan and Dawn have been so energized by their fundraising success that they’re already making plans to raise funds for CDRF again this year. In fact, Dawn is doubling her fundraising goal and will be at the starting line this coming November for another marathon.
We have so much yet to accomplish – this is no time to stand on the sidelines! That’s why we so urgently need supporters like you on our team too.

Won’t you please renew your commitment to CDRF’s dedicated community of research scientists, advocates, and resource providers!

Let’s cross the finish line together. With your help, I know we can do it.

Sincerely,

Peter T. Wilderotter
President

No comments: